Washington, DC | Direct Placement
- Great attitude
- Works well in a team environment
- Dependable and reliable
- Very punctual, always arrive on time
- Pleasant and diligent
Responsibilities and Duties:
Looking for a Litigation Paralegal who will be assigned to most litigation cases,
particularly those that are large, complex or multi-party actions. The Paralegal works with all of the attorneys on the matter from the beginning through trial or arbitration, managing the flow of information and ensuring adherence to best practices. Successful Paralegals develop solid working relationships with senior partners and clients. They also continually find new and better ways of doing things, improving processes through the application of new technology.
Will manage the files (" case record”) including a complete set of the correspondence, memos, pleadings, and client documents in a matter, and help monitor deadlines by creating and maintaining calendars of key dates.
Litigation Case Management
- Manages document production processes - hard copy, electronic, etc.: Collects material from client, opposing parties, and third parties (hard copies, electronic data, physical evidence).
- Maintains chain of custody. Tracks materials through the process. Designs and implements document review systems.
- Prepares privilege logs. Manages logistics of production of documents - hard copy, images, native.
- Performs factual research. Compiles information into charts, graphs and timelines. Researches prior testimony and publications of opposing experts. Researches rules of procedure for relevant court venues, and assures adherence thereto.
- Coordinates preparation and filing of briefs and legal documents: Legal cite checking, shepardizing (Westlaw, Lexis). Fact checking. Compiles appendices and exhibits. Blue Book formatting, application of local rules. Files with court and serves on parties.
- Interacts with outside entities (clients, government agencies, expert witnesses, consultants, other law firms, opposing parties, court personnel, etc.)
- Databases (Concordance, Summation, Access, etc). Transcript management systems (LiveNote). Calendaring, task sharing, collaborative systems.
- Manages preparation for witnesses and depositions: Manages preparation of witness & subject files. Assists in preparation of witness outlines. Works with expert witnesses. Manages technical logistics for depositions (remote hookups, electronic transcripts, videography, synchronization).
- Manages trial preparation and trial support: Compiles and tracks trial exhibits. Prepares pretrial documents. Sets up and manages trial offices and trial support (e.G. Remote office setup and logistics).
- Manages resources: Supervises legal staff. Obtains and supervises support from Firm departments (e.G. Litigation Support, Graphics Services, Purchasing, Trial Support Services). Manages relationships with supporting vendors (graphics, court reporters, trial support, hotels, etc.).
- This position requires complex litigation experience, including managing large discovery, creating and managing databases and imaging systems, supervising teams, preparing for trial, and managing trial support.
- Must have high-level experience with a range of litigation support applications. Should also have experience managing out-of-town trial offices for cases that have gone to verdict. Demonstrated history of proposing and implementing process improvements is a plus.
- Additional qualifications include excellent analytical and organizational abilities, solid communication and management skills, creativity and initiative. Travel and overtime may be required.
Bachelor' s Degree required, paralegal certificate preferred.
Strong coordination and teamwork skills:
Planning and organization skills, including the ability to manage a number of projects concurrently.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- A proactive approach and the ability to work " hands-on" as required
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Experience with cite checking and blue booking
- Solid experience preparing and working at trials and hearings including working with court reporters and preparing exhibits for depositions.
- Experience filing documents with various courts (via ECF and using traditional hard copy methods)
- Proficiency in the use of law office software, including Word, Excel, Adobe and PPT; and document management systems (DMS)
- Proficiency in the use of e-discovery and deposition transcript tools (e.G. Relativety/ TextMap/Livenote)
- Certificates, Licensures, Registrations
- Paralegal certificate preferred.