Civil Public Works Inspector
Portland, OR | Direct Placement
- Full-Time Direct Hire Position
- Monday through Friday regular business hours
- Civil Inspector with wastewater and water experience.
- Ideally seeking a professional who has either worked for a civil contractor as a Superintendent/Foreman, or who has experience as an EIT (Engineer-in-Training) that wants more field experience
- The Public Works Inspector is distinguished from the Trainee levels in that it is the fully qualified journey inspector conducting independent field inspections
- This role is distinguished from other classes of inspectors by the focus on public works projects
- Knowledge of: administration of construction public works contracts; construction processes methods, processes, materials and their use, characteristics, preparation and/or installation; construction specifications and standards. Characteristics and capabilities of construction equipment; construction surveying practices and requirements; safety practices to be followed during construction; quality standards and test methods for construction materials
- Ability to: interact effectively, to problem solve and partner with citizens, community groups and/or contractors; establish and maintain effective working relationships with a diversity of others
- Skill in: reading and interpreting survey notes and performing survey-related computations. Reading and interpreting construction plans, specifications, codes, laws and contracts; math calculations associated with the computation or estimation of construction progress, dimensions, quantities and costs. Maintaining construction records; documenting daily construction activities and writing related reports; drafting; tools used in construction inspection. Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with construction personnel, equipment operators, supervisors and crews, contractors
- Special Requirements: Valid state driver' s license
- Reviews engineering plans, specifications, and contract documents related to a wide variety of civil construction projects; comments and makes recommendations and reports during pre-construction period; informs contractors of requirements.
- Inspects and prepares daily reports on public works projects, such as pipeline, structure and street construction, for quality of work and material, for proper line, grade, slope, placement, and for adherence to stipulations and specifications, including ensuring contractor, personnel and public safety.
- Inspects and prepares daily reports on methods of construction utilized by contractors. Investigates complaints relative to projects; checks for proper dimensions, quantities, and proper use of materials. Interprets plan requirements such as survey stakes and controls for projects; verifies accuracy and consistency with plans and drawings. Discusses, explains, interprets and relays changes to contractor during construction.
- Inspects and prepares daily reports on the construction of curbs, sidewalks and street and other pavements for proper grade and slope. Checks forms for proper alignments and surfacing; checks crown before and after surfacing material has been laid down; inspects gravel, asphalt and other concrete mixes, and joint material going into pavement for quality.
- Inspects and prepares daily reports on the manufacture and construction of pipeline, interpreting specification requirements for contractors; inspects line and grade for pipeline placement of thrust anchors and concrete footings; inspects back-fill and cleanup; inspects structural steel work including welding, sandblasting, and application of protective coatings.
- Inspects and prepares daily reports on the construction of pumping stations, including installation of equipment; checks amounts and types of materials and installations used; makes progress reports and recommendations to supervisor for modifications or alterations; inspects underground utility installations for conformity to plans.
- Provides final walk-through and measurement of work performed; ensures correctness and creates payment documents; arranges for and monitors testing of materials.
- Performs related duties as assigned.